I don't like blogs. In the online adoption world everyone has a blog. Most people spend several hours each night reading adoption blogs (okay, maybe I am included in this on some nights). Some blogs are truly funny and witty and interesting. Some blogs try to educate others, which can be good and also somewhat annoying. David Letterman made fun of blogs the other night and I was thrilled. I've never, ever wanted to have my own blog because I always felt it was sort of presumptuous - like I believe there are people lined up to read it. I don't believe there is anyone who is waiting to hear what I have to say, so that is not why I have finally decided to blog. I've CAVED because there has been a huge change in my house in the last few months, my previous journaling attempts have failed miserably and I feel like I'm going to need to remember this time in my life in more detail than my mind can provide (you'll understand when I tell the first story below). I will still make fun of blogs, including this one, so I haven't totally become a traitor :)
Two months ago we sold our 1940 colonial home in the city and bought a 30 acre farm. In order to afford this awesome property, we asked my 94 year old Grandmother to move in with us. She graciously agreed to move 4 hours from the city where she was born and has lived for 94 years to help us out. We spent 6 weeks preparing her bedroom and remodeling her bathroom and on June 28, 2008 she moved in. We call her Geet Nana, or just "The Geet".
The Geet is an interesting bird. She has 5 children - my mother is the oldest with 4 younger brothers. Geet's husband, my Grandfather, died in 2000 and she has lived alone since then. The Geet can hold her own and can manipulate a situation with the best of them. She frequently says things to me like "You're not going to lose any weight by eating THAT" and other flattering comments. She also frequently suggests that we put our old dog to sleep. Not something that one should suggest to a dog owner when they have just moved in. I vowed to myself before The Geet arrived that I would bite my tongue and not engage in any discussions or arguments - after all, it is impossible to change the opinion of a 94 year old and, why does it matter really? I'd have to say that I've been following this pact with myself quite closely, even after this incident:
I was visiting with The Geet and her glass of E&J Brandy while cutting vegetables for dinner. I was flying through the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and zucchini, thinking of how I am quite safe in the kitchen and haven't really ever cut myself while prepping food like my mom used to do. Well, all that came to a screeching halt quite quickly. The Geet was talking about two Ethiopian women who she adores - women who worked at her apartment building in the city. These women were quite fond of The Geet as she is the Great Grandmother of two beautiful Ethiopians (my daughters). So I'm cutting and The Geet is talking and all of a sudden she says about the Ethiopian women, "they live in the Negro District you know". I was so horrified, I had no idea what to say or think and before I knew it I sliced my thumb with a knife and proceeded to bleed on our dinner. Thankfully, this display ended the conversation as I jumped around the kitchen clutching my thumb with a paper towel and searching for a band aid.
Yes, I know, it is absolutely INEXCUSABLE to allow anyone in this day and age to use outdated racist language. But, you have not met The Geet. You say I could have simply said "Geet, we don't use that term anymore because it is offensive". But, you don't know The Geet and you don't have to live under the same roof as The Geet. If The Geet were 20 years younger, I swear I would have said something. But, you don't mess with The Geet at 94.
Please wish me luck and keep reading, this is only the beginning I'm sure.....
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
YAY, so happy to see you here. I knew you were a narcissist (just like me) deep down inside. Your inner blogger has just been waiting for the right moment.
And the geets arrival is just the right moment. I already LOVE her. She is hilarious and I can't wait to follow your journey with her.
I must agree with you regarding attempting to change the...ahem....unfortunate choice of words (and thoughts) that these old ladies tend to express. I also have a grandma who is not afraid to stick her orthopedic shoe in her mouth from time to time.
Okay I am not sure if it is normal to post 3 paragraph comments to blog posts, but since you and I are the only ones here- and nobody else is reading your lame blog yet, I figure it is okay. I will tone it down once your blog has world wide exposure.
C
Welcome to blogland! There are so many of us who have much in common but are scattered across the state/country/world...it is nice that we have blogs to keep up with each other. Looking forward to reading about your adventures - each of our lives is a funny, crazy story all of its own worthy of its own slice of cyberspace (-:
Post a Comment