Monday, March 2, 2009

Working Hard

Why is it that people assume stay-at-home moms have so much free time? Other than the 1.5 hour nap I had today (I was up until midnight last night and up at 6:30 - I needed one!), I am quite busy. Just because I'm not making money does not me not busy make..... Okay, I need an English class. Here are some things I've been doing lately:

  • Working hard on another Ethiopia Reads presentation, this time at the University - TOMORROW! College students - please don't let them fall asleep! I suck at this, but the ripple affect, even after a poor presentation, is amazing. People are giving money, raising money and sponsoring children. People are realizing that our economy is not that bad compared to how others live and die.
  • Trying unsuccessfully to write a mission statement for a non-profit organization I'm helping to start with a friend - actually, it is her brain-child but I passionately believe in the outcome and want desperately to do my part. Unfortunately, my taxed brain can only do one thing at a time and Ethiopia Reads is IT until tomorrow.
  • Searching for a job. Yes, I am actually searching for a job for the first time since 1993. Man, does it suck. I have gone from deciding to have a bed and breakfast suite in The Geet's old bedroom, to running a daycare, to working at a local coffee shop, to going back to the group home (I've worked with people with special needs in many capacities, including live-in), to working out of my home as a customer service operator. Any ideas?
  • Trying to clean up my house after a very messy, very expensive heating and air conditioning project. We hired our friends and HVAC professionals to run additional duct work to several areas of our home. The bill was a SHOCKER! Yikes! I'm wishing we would have left the damn place alone and gone to Ethiopia. Anyway, our house is a mess - dust everywhere - and I'm slowly trying to make it livable again.
  • The Geet is still in the behavioral unit and I am paying her bills and organizing her finances. Unfortunately, I am not her power of attorney so I need to send a pile of papers and directions to him today to get her accounts in order. She will be moving back to her assisted living facility this week but we don't expect much of a change in her behavior. I am tempted to take her back here. I don't know what else to do. They won't keep her at her facility if she doesn't behave. UGH.
  • I had an enormous argument with my parents that had me useless for a day. I find myself longing for siblings more as an adult than I did as a kid. I just need someone to call and listen when I say - "Mom and Dad are crazy!". Even if its not completely true and just a passing episode, I need a sibling to hear me.
  • Do you really want to hear anymore? I have to work on my Ethiopia Reads presentation so I don't suck. More later.......

7 comments:

writex3 said...

My sidekick and I would love to come to one of your Ethiopia Reads presentations. Please let me know if that would ever work out (I don't know how formal they are, and, well, you know my sidekick...)

About jobs, I sure have liked subbing. You can go when you want, you're with your kids or nearby (allowing you to spy on them, etc.), and you have basically no responsibility for anything.

Stacy said...

you should totally do the B&B thing! you could combine it with child-care and have a real winner on your hands. My grandmother and aunt and lucy could stay there while I stay at the holiday inn ... and HEY anytime you want to join forces with me (another only child) to talk about our 4 parents over box wine is good for me ...

3GenerationsFarm said...

Funny that you both read my post. Wanted to let you two know (and my other 7 readers, too!) that The Geet's room is now available for guests! King size bed, private bathroom, glass doors onto deck (you'll like that in a few months....). Please come and visit us! Please! I'm serious, really. I obviously need company and therapy...

writex3 said...

Don't offer lightly...I remember those chocolate belgium waffles & havarti eggs! Can't wait to hear how your presentation went today.

Anonymous said...

.....only bad thing about having the siblings (at least in my case) is what to do when they AND your parents are "crazy" all at the same time - that's when you need your REAL family...GOOD OL' RELIABLE FRIENDS!
hmmmm, maybe I need to start my own blog?!!!!!!!!!

Smiths said...

Working at home as a customer service rep sounds intriguing. Do you have a lead or resource you wouldn't mind sharing? I may be needing a new job soon.

Hope your schedule mellows soon. Sounds like a lot is going on.

Yokes said...

You are a busy lady. Good luck with the job searching. I'd stay away from daycare (unless you really know the kids and/or parents & get along). Call anytime to vent about parents...I can say I get my fair share of frustrations here. Hang in there SherBear