Sunday, March 15, 2009

For a Good Cause



My friend, Charlotte, is fund raising for a cause near and dear to our hearts. She is creating a non-profit organization that will support Ethiopian families who are affected by HIV/AIDS. The mission is to facilitate family to family sponsorships so that Ethiopian mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings might receive the assistance they need to raise their children and keep their families together. I am helping Charlotte in this effort, although she is the one staying up most nights to make it happen. Both of my daughters lost their Ethiopian mothers to AIDS. With a small amount of support each month, maybe they could have received the intervention and education needed to learn about HIV and access life-saving anti-retroviral medications. Maybe, a small amount of financial support could have provided them with the nutrition needed to remain healthy a few years longer. Maybe, after AIDS took their mothers from them, my daughters' remaining family members could have afforded to raise them. I love my children with all my heart and soul. But, they should not have had to leave their families and their country. Adoption is not the solution to the AIDS epidemic in Africa or anywhere. Maybe, one family at a time, we can provide the support necessary to keep children with their first families in Ethiopia.

We are in the process of gaining 501(c)3 status. We have targeted partner agencies that we will work with on the ground in Ethiopia. These are established organizations run by Ethiopians. Family to family sponsorships will begin in the future, but we need start-up funds to get to Ethiopia. The bracelets are just one way we are raising money to get back to Ethiopia to launch our NPO.

You can click on the photo above to visit the bracelet site and you can also visit Charlotte's personal blog at habeshahouse.blogspot.com. I'll certainly post more as this effort progresses and let you know when sponsorships are available.

3 comments:

writex3 said...

That's awesome. I've inquired.

We have a friend from Nigeria who has told us that family to family is the only way to effectively get aid to those who need it most in Africa. He feels that with other efforts, so much gets lost along the way if it reaches the intended recipients at all. So with that in mind, I think this is a fantastic effort. I've always wanted to support a program that helps families keep their kids, too - gets right to the heart of things. Keep us posted.

3GenerationsFarm said...

I'm so happy to hear you say this! This is an enormous undertaking and, in true apathetic fashion, would be easier to just say "forget it". But, our families have been affected directly, we know what the needs are and we can't keep ignoring what we've seen and what we know. So - we're going for it. I knew you would like this project and I so appreciate your encouragement. Thanks!

Smiths said...

SMart! I hope it works. We'll donate. Thanks for posting about it. I'll pass it along to friends.