Friday, December 5, 2008

No Longer Avoiding Book Clubs

I have successfully avoided joining a book club for 39.5 years. I am actually quite proud of the fact that I am a passionate loner who has purposely avoided joining other groups of women in ladies nights out, scrapbooking or, ahem, book clubs. So, I know my life has taken quite a turn when a friend asked me to join a book club and before she could finish the sentence I shouted out "YES, YES, YES!!!". It's time, I guess. Time to get out, expand my book list, drink wine with people other than myself and, mostly, have a set date that requires me to leave the house.

My parents and husband read every book they can. Rick is a fast reader and has several books going at once. He enjoys books that are difficult to read, while I enjoy an easy read. Rick and my parents had tons of suggestions for my book club's first read, among them A Thousand Splendid Suns, Up Country, The Piano Tuner, Anna Karenina - actually, its silly to even list a few as they have read so many and love so many. My favorite books of late are Don't Lets Go To The Dogs Tonight (I highly recommend this memoir of a British woman's upbringing in Africa) and Three Cups of Tea.

Our book club met for dinner last night to decide on our first book. The neat thing about this group is that we are a range of ages and most of us didn't know each other before last night. Some of the women have already read more books than I will ever read in my lifetime. Others have read a wide variety - classics, Shakespeare, science fiction. Me? I prefer Janet Evanovich because I need to laugh, not be forced to concentrate too deeply and I fall asleep after 3 pages. The main rule our club established last night is to not read any book that any of us have already read. This was easier than you might think. There were many great titles that none of us had read.

So, The Poisonwood Bible it is! My family anxiously awaited my return from dinner to find out what book we chose. My mother cheered and said I would love the book. Rick and my Dad were less than excited as they much prefered Barbara Kingsolver's Prodigal Summer to The Poisonwood Bible. My mother said that was bullshit and declared The Poisonwood Bible the best Kingsolver book, saying Prodigal Summer was stupid and concentrated on moths and butterflies. Nothing like a family argument about literature to jump-start my entry into the world of book clubs.

I removed The Poisonwood Bible from our bookshelf last night and slowly began the first of its 500 pages. I was seven pages in before I fell asleep and it hasn't grabbed me yet. My mom said if I can get through the first 2 chapters that I will love it. Rick and my Dad would probably say - bullshit.

5 comments:

Sarah Smith said...

By far, her best book and one of my favorite all time books. I've read it 3 times. You will love it!

FrogMom said...

fully ambitious first book choice. How often do you guys get together? My book club tries to keep them at or around 300 pages. It took me more than two chapters to get into that one, but once I did it was fantastic. I also loved "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight". I read it a few years ago but I remember thinking she was really brave to be so honest about her family's (and her own) racism.

3GenerationsFarm said...

Good advice on the 300 page limit. I've read the first 7 pages twice now. I am going to get through the first two chapters if it kills me! I guess I might have to read during a time when I'm not exhausted. Not sure when that would be.....

Sarah - I miss you! Its so good to see you here on my blog!

Anonymous said...

I have been in 3 book clubs over the years. The last one I was dragged into only to have the friend who kept asking me to be in it quit after 6 months. Book clubs are tyranny. You very probably will get to a point where you'll think: Damnit, I want to read what I want to read when I feel like reading it and I can't read fast enough to keep up anyway. But maybe not. Hope you find book club bliss. And if I may make some recommendations...try some Phillip Roth or T.C. Boyle. - Beej

-C said...

Books! Who has time for books! I can barely get 5 minutes to take a shower in peace most days. Though I am glad that you are getting out of the house and doing something for yourself, and at least it involves wine. It does involve wine, right?

Charlotte