Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tonight at dinner The Geet grabbed a slice of a quesadilla off Massy's plate, peeled it open and spit into it. She then stuffed it into her empty wine glass. Do you suppose she thought this was a napkin? How is it after living with 4 profoundly developmentally disabled boys for a year in Alaska that there are still things that shock me? I always said that I wanted a life that would make a great book. Well, I have a pretty good short story so far - especially if you factor in the 4 years running the B&B, 3 trips to Ethiopia and 6 months with The Geet.

Update on my Dad: He had a defibrillator placed in his chest yesterday. It is supposed to stop the ventricular tachycardia that can quickly cause a fatal heart attack. Unfortunately, is hasn't stopped it and they are increasing the beta blocker medication to try to solve this. If it doesn't work, they will have to open him up and clean up around the heart valves. My father would be cross country skiing 2 hours each day right now if he wasn't in the hospital. He is very active and healthy, so its unfortunate that his heart is being tempermental. At least my Mom was able to drive to Fargo and be with him on Tuesday after the roads cleared.

Proof that I'm crazy: Saw an email today about a 5 year old boy available for adoption in Ethiopia and actually thought we could possibly do it. I may be certifiable.

2 comments:

Sarah Smith said...

I hope you dad is doing better!! Send a kiss to both your parents for me.

-C said...

I hope the beta blockers work and that he does not need surgery. Is your mom doing okay? Have you guys even had time for your annual christmas tree chopping event yet?

ps. I think about adopting another little boy all of the time even though I am in over my head as it is. Crazy..

Charlotte