Monday, December 15, 2008

Yes, there's more

So, I haven't even posted the latest stress in my life. I just can't believe these things keep happening. I don't even want to write about them anymore for fear people will think we're jinxed or I'm overly negative or something. Honestly, I have never had a string of stressful events this extensive in my entire life. I do tend to take risks, so that comes with its expected rough times - but 2008 has been ridiculously unlucky for me (although I realize in the big scheme of things I am still incredibly fortunate).

My Dad was taken by ambulance to the hospital in Fargo on Saturday night in a blizzard. Fargo, North Dakota is 3 hours west and is the same place Geet Nana was flown to by helicopter when she had her heart attack in September. My Dad is in incredible shape. His drive to bike, cross-country ski and work out is annoying. He had a heart valve replacement 15 years ago due to valve damage from rheumatic fever as a child. He's been doing great since then, but had been feeling dizzy and experiencing a low pulse and some tachycardia this month. He was in the local emergency room last Sunday night, came home Monday with a heart monitor and ended up back in the emergency room this past Sunday night.

A blizzard was making its way across North Dakota on Saturday and he instructed my Mom not to drive to Fargo behind the ambulance but to wait out the storm and come on Monday or Tuesday. Well - we watched the radar and felt it was safe and told my Mom to go anyway without telling my Dad. She made it to a small town 50 miles from here and had to turn around because the weather was so bad. The freeways around Fargo have been closed for two days and my Dad was actually unable to have some procedures done today due to the inability of staff to get to the hospital to work. So - my Mom will now leave tomorrow (Tuesday) and stay with my Dad for the rest of the week. He'll probably have a defibrillator placed in his chest this week and possibly come home on Friday.

Honestly, I am too busy here to even worry much about my Dad. Getting The Geet up, to the bathroom, showered, fed, back to the bathroom several times and also organizing her home health care visits (there were 2 today) is about all I can handle. Our kids were home from school today due to the snow and cold. I guess I'm just trusting that my Dad will be okay. Interesting how things seem to happen for a reason, too. Had I not been to the cardiac unit in Fargo with The Geet, I probably would not have the confidence and comfort that comes from knowing the place and visualizing my Dad there.

Last year I said I would never allow my Christmas shopping, organizing, card sending, baking, cleaning to go to the last minute. And, here I am again on December 15 with lots of extra stressors, not enough time in the day and no shopping, cleaning, organizing or baking done. And, the book club date looms......

6 comments:

Stacy said...

OMFG Sher ... shoot.

-C said...

I can't believe it!

When will the madness stop? You have really been through the wringer this year. Thank goodness it is a new year soon, hopefully 2009 will bring some peace to you.

So shocked and sorry about your dad and how stressful for all of you.

Thinking of you.

3GenerationsFarm said...

The worst part is I don't even have time to talk to my friends! C called me yesterday and I had to hang up because The Geet had to pee! And, wouldn't you know it, today I have all 3 kids home sick, The Geet was up 3X last night, I had to wash Massy's enormous amount of hair today and I clogged the toilet. ARGH!

Leslie said...

What a crazy stressful year. I hope that this year will end peacefully and with lots of fun and that 2009 is better.

FrogMom said...

That's terrible. I am so sorry. I hope your dad is home safe and happy real soon.

I have to say that it is crazy that you are even worrying about Christmas cards and cookies with everything else going on. I think everyone else will cut you a break this year if your cards don't get sent, so please cut yourself a break too and don't worry about these little things. Take care of yourself.

Oh, and just to get a head start I'll say that I hope 2009 brings you as many pleasant surprises as 2008 did unpleasant surprises.

writex3 said...

I hope your dad is ok. And yup, you've had a terrible string of luck. In that blizzard on top of it all! See, this is why you need to keep your blog going - you've gotta have a place to vent and sort through the craziness!