Monday, December 29, 2008

The Diarrhea

We have an argument among family and friends about whether one should say "I have diarrhea" or "I have the diarrhea". I am in the "the diarrhea" camp. Those in disagreement with me say, but you wouldn't say "I have the cold!". And I argue back, but you WOULD say "I have the flu", not "I have flu". We love this controversy - it arises each time someone has the runs. Love it. Which camp are you in?

But - the reason this comes up is because The Geet and I are both a bit under the weather. The Geet had it coming out of both ends today when my dear friend Amber was here caring for her. I am more convinced than ever that Amber is truly a saint - particularly after she took care of The Geet's record breaking bloody nose last week. I'm not sure if my queezy stomach is a bug or the fact that I'm nervous. If you know me at all you know that I get nervous a lot and run to the bathroom often when I'm nervous. I think I'm nervous right now for lots of reasons. I'm applying for a job for the first time in years - I think. I guess I'll decide that at 11:59 on the night of the deadline. Its just part time, school term and will most likely have a million applicants. The other cause of my diarrhea could be the fact that I have to give a presentation about Ethiopia Reads, an organization that we support, on January 10. I was told about this talk way back in the summer and have procrastinated until now on preparing my presentation - 12 days before the day. There will be about 50 educators at this presentation expecting something spectacular. So, I'm frantically studying the ER website and preparing a powerpoint presentation at the eleventh hour (along with cramming for my book club meeting :). Lastly, The Geet is really in need of alternative care. I'm awake with her to help in the bathroom several times each night and providing constant care all day long. The choice is difficult and it is giving me THE diarrhea.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

interesting debate. I never thought of having options on how to say it .. hmmmm, on first instinct i would say i have "the runs" but would say I have "diarrhea". "the flu" "a cold", "strep", "the cramps"

-C said...

Well, I had to read your post out loud to John- who gufffawed at it and said it is DIARRHEA! Not The Diarrhea. And since I say THE diarrhea a late night argument ensued and we are now at an impasse. so I cannot help you, but want to thank you for providing fodder for our heated discussion.

Charlotte (who has never written diarrhea this many times in one paragraph before until I met you)

Anonymous said...

As someone with medical training I assure you that its diarrhea, loose, stools, runny BM, loose bowels, trots,indigestion,dysentery,excess defecation,upset stomach...but not THE diarrhea. HOWEVER, I now prefer the term THE diarrhea as its more fun to say and it reminds me of Sherry.

3GenerationsFarm said...

And prariemama, is it "colonic massage" or "the colonic massage"? Either way, its a very strange practice :)

Anonymous said...

According to John its THE secret weapon against THE constipation. He's much too interested in his bowels. Happy New Year.