Monday, January 5, 2009

We're short a roommate....

There is so much going on, I don't even know where to start. Mostly, I don't want to bore you. But, this blog IS called afarm3girlsandanoldlady and WAS created to talk about life with The Geet. So, I suppose we should continue the saga. I can certainly create a list of funnier more interesting blogs if you so desire :) I have found myself in the hospital chapel more than once over the last few days which, if you know anything about my religious affiliations or lack thereof, would indicate that I have definitely lost my mind.

The Geet has decided that she doesn't want to come back to our home from the hospital - she doesn't want to impose on us anymore. But, when we talked about the cost difference between our house and a nursing home, she sort of changed her mind. The problem is, she has refused physical therapy while in the hospital and can now hardly move. We don't think we can physically take care of her if she needs a 2-person assist to the bathroom. So, my mom and I (and Massy, unfortunately) spent some time today looking at two nursing homes that have rooms available. One of them is like a 5 star hotel or better. When we called this place a few months ago, they had a two year waiting list and the cost was prohibitive. But, they now have a room available for a hospice or rehabilitation patient (more on that later) being transferred from the hospital. The other nursing home is like a Motel 6. It used to be the county-run nursing home. The halls and common areas are pleasant and, of course, I loved the dog and cat. But, the rooms are shabby and the bathrooms are shared among 4 people. There is no furniture in the room (and they desperately need paint), so we would have to haul her furniture there (it was 25 degrees below zero today - school was delayed 2 hours - so moving furniture does not sound like fun right now).

Both places are $250 - $350 per day, depending on her level of care. If she goes to the 5 star facility as a rehabilitation patient - agreeing to do physical therapy every day - then medicare will pay 100% of this for 20 days and about 50% after 20 days up until 100 days. But, The Geet has refused physical therapy and although I would like her to try it and I think it would break up her day, I cannot blame her. The only other way for her to get a room at this beautiful place is to be approved for Hospice. Even on Hospice, she needs to pay the full daily price out of pocket, but she at least gets the room. We will know tomorrow whether she is approved for Hospice. They are taking extra time to review her file because, believe it or not, she is likely too healthy to qualify.

So - on Tuesday, it looks like The Geet will have a new home either at the 5 star or the Motel 6. She can still come back to our home is she decides to in the future. But for now, we all think its best for her to have skilled 24 hour care. My dear friend Amber was prepared to care for The Geet this month and is now out of a job. In fact, I'm out of a job too, since The Geet paid room and board while she lived here.

I'll be out of town Thursday and Friday, have my Ethiopia Reads presentation (I'm so unprepared!) on Saturday and was supposed to apply for a job yesterday (but didn't). I also received a concerning email about Hana's brother in Ethiopia today, so my mind is all over the place. I wonder if there is a bed for me at the Motel 6?

2 comments:

-C said...

You must be incredibly stressed out about all of this. I can't imagine how trying it must be to have to make so many important decisions about someone else's life. Geet is so fortunate to have you as a grand daughter. I wish there was something I could do for you right now. I will await your next blog post with updates on whether it will be the 5 star (crossing fingers) or the motel 6.

Charlotte

Leslie said...

I agree with Charlotte--you are a great granddaughter and family to her. I'm hoping for the 5 star place too. I'm hoping for some moments of pure happiness and peace for you soon.