Tuesday, January 6, 2009
The 5 Star
She's there. But - she did not qualify for Hospice. Her doctor wants her to pull herself out of her funk (serious depression) and try the rehabilitation route. I don't quite know how you rehabilitate a 95 year old, but I do agree that she is sinking into depression and refusing to do simple tasks out of laziness. So, surprisingly, she agreed to physical therapy twice each day and was moved to the 5 star facility today. This is most likely temporary - when physical therapy is completed in about a month they think she may be ready for assisted living. She does like the facility - it is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. But, I still felt weird and awful leaving her there anyway. I imagine I would feel really horrible if she were at the Motel 6, even though I sort of liked its kitschy-ness yesterday. But, I think leaving her there may have reminded me of that scene in the movie "BIG" when Tom Hanks checks into a seedy hotel in NYC, locks his door, hears gun shots and then cries on the bed. Oh, I always get emotional during that part! Anyway, there probably won't be any gunshots at the 5 star. We moved her in with 5 outfits, 3 pair of PJ's and a bottle of E&J Brandy. We are a classy bunch!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad she's there and doing the therapy. I hope she starts to feel a little better. And that you do too--I know it is so hard.
I'm glad to hear that she is willing to try. I guess that's something. I'll be thinking of you and the Geet. Everything about this is just terrible.
Hopefully the Geet can just hold on till the winter lets up - more daylight, less cold, and SPRING will help all of our states of mind.
Post a Comment