Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Nursing Home Humor

I should really be reading The Poisonwood Bible for my book club meeting on Thursday. We are discussing HALF the book, of which I am still 80 pages shy.....

But, I need to write about some funny moments at the nursing home. They do not involve The Geet. The Geet is grouchy, mean, rude and pretty much unbearable. I don't like that woman right now. Living with her was easier than spending an hour with her at the nursing home each day. Wallowing in self-pity doesn't flatter anyone. Visiting with someone who argues endlessly is beyond tiresome.

So, I've come to observe the other residents, which is a comedy in itself. We walked to another wing the other day and there was a quasi birthday party in progress. The cake said "Happy 48th" and there was an ancient gentlemen with a party hat on and a big smile. The ladies at the table said "It's Larry's birthday and he's 48!", followed by lots of snickering. Larry went to his room shortly thereafter and left his cake behind. Donna (very large woman in a wheelchair with no teeth wearing a green velour "jogging" suit) informed me that Larry had to buy his own cake and she really felt that the 5 star facility should be buying everyone a cake for each of their birthdays. When Larry left, The Geet decided that she would like a piece of Larry's cake. Well, Donna just wasn't sure about that. Larry bought that cake with his own money and maybe it wouldn't be okay with him. Then, another guy wheeled by and asked for a piece of cake. My mom cut him a piece and Donna emphatically said "Hey, you already had a piece of Larry's cake. I don't think you should be eating all of Larry's cake". There was a bit of posturing between Donna and the Cake-Taker, but he wheeled away with his piece of cake. Then we heard a little scuffle behind us and turned to find the Cake-Taker in an argument with another guy in a wheelchair. They were yelling at each other about who had the right of way. New Guy was yelling at Cake-Taker, "YOU ARE ALWAYS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE HALLWAY!!" and Cake-Taker said back, "I'm on the right side, this is the side I'm supposed to be on!". And then they both went on their way. Personally, I'm siding with Cake-Taker. This guy has lost both his legs and spends the majority of each day wheeling around the entire facility. From what I've observed, Cake-Taker should always have the right of way.

3 comments:

PressthePeople said...

THAT is hilarious! It sounds like a scene out of a movie.

Can I just say that I agree with Donna, the cake police woman, that I too am shocked that the 5 star facility does not buy a birthday cake for their residents. Really, I find this appalling.

I root for a cake taker any day!

When are you gonna blog about your presentation? I want pictures too.

Charlotte

3GenerationsFarm said...

Charlotte - That's what we called Donna - the Cake Police! She was hysterical and very serious about protecting Larry's freakin' cake.

Don't ask me about the presentation. I'll send you the power point and you can judge it's worth for yourself. I guess a few people cried. They claimed it was because my stories of meeting our girls in ET brought them to tears. I think it was boredom. Lets just say the venue changed at the last minute from a conference room to a gymnasium and that threw me off a bit.....But, they have a large donation to Ethiopia Reads, I have another talk lined up and more money is coming in. So, I didn't make a fool of myself for nothing!

Anonymous said...

I would love to visit the 5-star with you. You guys make everything a bit more amusing.

Do you think, when the party was over, Donna took all the extra cake to her room??