Friday, August 8, 2008

Be Good to Your Septic System.....

Stuff that goes down the drain and is flushed down the toilet should never make an appearance again. When it does, it is not a good thing. It is quite horrifying to see it returning to your basement. The smell is foul. Bleach is essential. Hauling buckets of sewage and a full shop vac up the rickety basement steps over and over again gets old. You find yourself wishing you could move back into the city. So, be good to your septic system. You can't just flush it and forget it. Some things should definitely go in the garbage instead of in the toilet. My Dad was a septic-system Natzi while I was growing up (think Seinfeld - No Flush For You!). There was a period of time when he didn't want us to flush unless it was essential (if its brown, flush it down.......). So, dear old Dad, I get you now. I have complete and utter respect for my septic system. I thank it each time it successfully takes the stuff and doesn't send it back. I will no longer abuse it. I love you, Septic System, please don't fail me again.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh dear... I am hopeful that your septic system hears your appreciation loud and clear!!

writex3 said...

My husband claims that you are almost better off with an outhouse...

Stacy said...

I want to come visit but I really need to not be afraid of the toilet. Lordy pete, breaking someone elses toilet system is a total (ir)rational fear of mine. My mom comments on my blog too ...

3GenerationsFarm said...

Stacy, don't worry - we wouldn't blame you even if the septic backed up while you were here! We have enough other people who live here to blame and, since it has happened before, you could always tell yourself that the problem pre-dated your visit :) It has been a long time since you've been here and now you're afraid of my toilet. I don't expect you'll be visiting soon?