It's here! I love winter! When Hana was picking out clothes for school tonight she asked if it was going to be warm tomorrow. My reply - "No Hana, its going to be cold for the next 6 months so you no longer have to ask me that each night". We do love winter here, at least until January.
Things in our crazy house are going along with their usual excitement. The Geet fell in her bathroom on Saturday, cut her hand badly (not sure on what), pushed her lifeline button which summoned us and needed to be helped off the floor and showered (you don't want to know why, believe me). While all of this was going on, Elmo decided to pee on The Geet's carpet! This is not the first time Elmo has used The Geet's room as a toilet, but it is the first time The Geet has been aware of it. Great timing, Elmo, its not like The Geet needed any more reasons to hate you. The Geet's hand swelled up and turned purple and Rick has been tending to her cuts, changing the dressing twice a day. I had an immediate thought while taking care of The Geet during this episode that I couldn't do this anymore, that she really needs much greater care than I can provide for her. We are going to add a few more safety features to her bathroom and hire a caregiver to come in 3X a week to help her shower and to give me a break. Believe it or not, I really don't want The Geet to move from here now. Having her here is a ton of work, but I feel like we are getting into a groove and I really can't imagine our life without her here or her room without her things in it. We have been through many ups and downs in the 4 months she's been here, but I am thrilled that we are spending the last days of her life with her.
1 comment:
That was both funny and sad all at the same time. I am sorry that Elmo and Geet aren't getting along too well. And even more sorry to hear about her accident. Giving Geet her last years of life surrounded by family is really a huge gift of human compassion to her AND a wonderful lesson in compassion for your girls.
Isn't this really the way life should be? I always admired those cultures that take it upon themselves to take care of their elders no matter how stubborn and annoying they might be. Don't know if I could survive one day with my bull headed grandma, although I love her dearly it certainly would be a challenge to have to live with her everyday.
I admire you guys for this.
Charlotte (totally digging the snowcovered barn and totally envious as usual)
Post a Comment