Monday, November 24, 2008

Geet Update

I suppose I owe you all a Geet Update. I find myself sighing as I write this. It is exhausting enough caring for The Geet, so writing about it is not always what I feel like doing. It's not that The Geet is crabby or unappreciative - in fact, she is much happier than she was when she first moved in. I think this has to do with the addition of antidepressents - perhaps the best invention of the 21st century - and the fact that she no longer can really go anywhere, so she doesn't whine about going out to dinner more or finding something to do to keep her entertained. The Geet needs to be shopping, eating out or socializing to be happy - she isn't a naturally happy person.

So, The Geet is easier to be around in many ways, but caring for her is also more exhausting. She can not be left alone, which prevents me from leaving the house unless I find someone to take care of her. I find that people are willing to do this conditionally - everyone volunteers to pick up the girls from school but rarely volunteer to stay with The Geet so I can pick up the girls from school. I convinced The Geet to hire a friend of mine to care for her 3 mornings a week so that I can bring the older girls to school and drop off/pick up Massy from preschool. This will begin after Thanksgiving and be a lifesaver for me.

The Geet is sleeping better than she was last week. I sleep with a baby monitor now and get up once a night to take her to the bathroom. She has trouble lying in bed without feeling panicky so half way through the night I also help her move to her chair to sleep. She has had home health aides, nurses and physical therapists visit to help her increase her independence.

We had a wonderful weekend with some extended family - even got video of The Geet dancing with her walker! So - there's the update. Boring, really. Hopefully Harper will do some more inappropriate things at school to keep the blog readers interested.

1 comment:

-C said...

It is nice to hear that Geet is more pleasant to be around, although it must feel stifling to you to have limited freedom to do what you need to do for your girls and yourself. When do we get to see the video of Geet dancing with her walker:)?