
I spent labor day weekend in the twin cities with some dear old friends from high school. It was a riot! We really had a great time. I think all of us really needed to reconnect and take a break from our lives and our little ones. We had great dinners out, shopped for fun clothes and housewares (shopping is not a hobby for any of us, so it was different and great fun) and laughed a lot. We went to the Mama Mia sing along late on Saturday night and it was silly and fun - albeit past our bedtime. We are damn old. I snored, W had intestinal issues and kept unbuttoning her pants, B is STILL a poor driver (even without listening to Larry King) and S had vertigo the whole weekend. We really could have been at an Elderhostel event!
Tonight I talked on the phone with a dear friend that I met while waiting to bring home Massy during our adoption process. This mom was also waiting for her son and our families overlapped on our adoption trips to Ethiopia in November of 2005. I can remember our time in ET together like it was yesterday and this family will always have a special place in my heart. SH and I are both sarcastic, cynical and lean so far left that we plan to move out of the country if Obama doesn't win in November :) Its great that we can have such a great conversation after we haven't talked in months.
Tonight's conversation got me thinking about other friends that I think of often and wish I had more time to spend with. C is overwhelmed with moving (again) and I can't stop thinking of her family in DC. We met while our family was waiting for Hana and her family was waiting for their daughter from the same orphanage in 2007. Again, it was an instant connection and we have a wonderful long-distance friendship. We are both quite unlady-like and love to share and laugh at our faux pas and short comings!
My dear friend of 25 years, W, lost her beloved pet this week. I have been thinking of her since the email she sent to tell me that she had to make the horrible decision to put her sweet old girl to sleep. We both had dogs long before we had kids and, oh, did we love them. I am thinking of her and hoping that each day will get better and provide only the best memories of her pet.
I am truly horrible at keeping in touch with my friends - its surprising that I have any! My time management skills are terrible and have only gotten worse with 3 children. I used to be early everywhere I went - embarrassingly early. Now, I can't get anywhere on time. I always returned phone messages. Now, I ignore them. I am embarrassed that I can't seem to keep up with things, while others seem to do it effortlessly. I often tell people that I think of them constantly, but just can't seem to find the time to call or email (unless its midnight). This is an honest statement. I spend a good part of each day thinking of the people who are special to me. I guess if I spent that time making contact with them, they might believe me.
I appreciate all who are reading and the few that actually comment on my lame and irregular blog!
5 comments:
You forgot about the farts...can't have a weekend without a few farts :) This helped my sanity and the sanity of those I love. I say we do this annually! Vertigo came back on Sunday...at least it stayed away for while. Take care Sher Bear! Love to W if she reads this. Thinking of her too.
Now S, I was trying to keep this post very clean. Leave it to you to take it to a new level :) You didn't say who was doing the farting. Let's just say it wasn't me. Don't think I've ever had a day of gas in my life...
Thank you for thinking of us. My life is still hell so please keep thinking. I need it :)
A bunch of us are planning to move to a secluded island and starting a commune if McCain wins - feel free to join us. Oh, and after these years in MN, I'm pushing for an island of the tropical variety (-:
Bean! You have a new reader! I love your blog and am going to become a faithful fan. We have a spare room in London for you, Rick, Geet and the kids if things go sadly wrong in november...
p.s. I saw Mama Mia all by myself...:(
Post a Comment